Friday, June 1, 2012

Home-Grown Dinner

Our growing season here is quite short so eating fresh from the garden is a big deal.  Yesterday was our first chance to actually harvest something from one of our gardens so I decided to try to make a completely home grown meal out of it.

My daughter Emma and I picked spinach, arugula, baby kale and radishes to make a salad.  No tomatoes yet, they are going into the garden this weekend.
I defrosted some elk sirloin from a nice elk harvested off our property last fall. Heated a bit of olive oil in my cast iron skillet and sprinkled a salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides.
 
Into the skillet they go for a pan sear.
 
Four minutes on each side, they were cut pretty thin and I wanted them pink inside.
 
What a great dinner that tasted even better knowing that it came off our place.  With the exception of the ranch dressing!

4 comments:

  1. Thats awesome, I like the white radishes, never seen those at the grocery stor before. That elk meat looks delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our season is long and still eating fresh from the garden is a big deal, lol, and we don't get any elk steaks either :( Maybe we will get some whitetail steaks this winter though :)
    Your dinner looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummyyy...) Good site in food related items just like http://homefooddryers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking for sausage recipes for lunch.
    I had a few leftover sausages and needed a quick fix for lunch.
    stainless steel sausage stuffer

    ReplyDelete