Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another First:: Smoked Pork Ribs

I thought I'd try my hand at smoking ribs using 10.5's method. Usually, I bake the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours covered at 300F then finish on the grill with BBQ sauce. As usual, my husband is scared I'm going to ruin the ribs by trying something new. So, when they had pork spare ribs on sale for $1.98 a pound I bought two 5lbs racks: one for the old way and one to try 10.5's method.

I used Willingham's Rub from the Bradley Recipe Site the night before and let them marinade overnight in the fridge.

Willingham's Rub
  • 4 Tbsp. cumin
  • 4 Tbsp. thyme
  • 4 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 4 Tbsp. black pepper -- freshly ground
  • 2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. curry powder
  • 1 Tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp. MSG or other flavor enhancer
Smoked them for 3 hrs in hickory @ 225F
Wrapped them in foil with apple juice and cooked them 2 hours longer, then applied a honey BBQ sauce.
And after an hour of cooking without the foil they came out like this.
They came out fantastic, I liked them better than the old way even. Our guest thought they won the taste test, Hubby said I made them too spicy. They were even prettier, too.
They went great with squash roasted with spices, butter and maple syrup...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment